Monday, February 25, 2008

Giving Birth: The Sequel

I feel so much more relaxed this time about the birth of our new one coming in May. With Sam there was the fear of the unknown- I had no idea what contractions would feel like or how much pain I would be in. Many women described it to me the best that they could... but it is one of those things you have to experience yourself.

My fear this time around is that this birth will not go as smoothly as it went with Sam. I had a relatively easy (10 hours of labor- 1 hour of pushing), uncomplicated drug free birth with Sam. I had great support from Russ, my parents and my amazing doula Rhonda. I could not have done it drug free without the support of Rhonda. Anyone who is hoping for a natural delivery should have a doula present. My favorite doctor out of the large group of ob-gyn's I go to was on call the day my water broke. Sam latched on like a champ and breastfeeding was so natural and easy for us. I would not change a thing about the day. It was the best day of my life so far.

I had such a positive birth experience. I went into labor trusting my body would tell me what to do and I am so glad I felt every single second. I was amazed at my strength and instinctively knowing what to do. I loved that I felt every moment of it and am looking forward to doing it again. My doula Rhonda and I were talking about this the other day. She told me to let that go... no worries or comparing it to Sams' birth. It will be it's own experience- probably different but no less as amazing. I can't wait...

Here are a few pictures from Sam's birth- 7/20/06-


1 comment:

Stellaandthomas said...

When I look at those newborn pics of Sam, I do not think he has changed a bit. I mean I know he has, but he has the same look.