Thursday, January 17, 2008

Inching Away

Today I had an appointment at the Montessori school we are planning on sending Sam to next year. I had been there before for a tour but had not seen a class in session. The first time I went I sat in my car for a bit imagining dropping Sam off for his school day. Dropping him off? I couldn't imagine it and it made me feel stressed a bit. I never anticipated motherhood would be such a mix of emotions. It is obvious the separation begin so early. I already see him torn between dependence on me and a strong desire for independence. He tries new things with a glance back at me or reach for my hand. He needs to know I am there as he explores and grows into an independent toddler.
Seeing the classes in session helped me relax a bit. The teachers were attentative and nuturing and I liked the atmosphere in both classrooms. I know he will love it and it is the right thing to do. Does this letting go as they grow get any easier? I think I know the answer to that...

No comments: