Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Gravity

It is so easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle of every day with small children. I tend to forget the enormous-ness of being responsible for raising not one, but two, human beings. Every single little decision you make will affect them. How I react to them, how I respond to them, the time I spend with them and what I do in that time. I discuss big decisions with Russ, but it is the everyday of how I parent that will shape these beautiful children of ours into the people they will become. I, of course, acknowledge an innateness to them- things that may not change no matter what we do. Both of our children have the same personalities and temperament on the day the were born that they do now. I try every day to embrace who they are - their sameness and differences and adjust my parenting to meet their individual needs.

We are faced with a decision on what school program to put Sam in next year. I won't go into detail- but there are two very different programs- one is 3 days and one is 5 days a week. I have had so many different opinions but what it comes down to is my instinct as a mother- my gut feeling. I remember feeling when my children were born I had already known them forever. I know every inch of them better than I know myself sometimes. I will never know another person as well as I know them.

...And I know the decision we made is the right for our Sam.

No comments: